03 June 2015

A Story About an Ordinary G-Plan Sideboard

One thing I knew I wanted in the Prague apartment was a sideboard. A beautiful, wooden, retro sideboard. I even knew what it should look like - teak, thin legs, some shelves, some drawers and a bar cabinet. But one thing you can't find in Czech is a sideboard. A sideboard which is long, wooden and isn't too high (we couldn't find anything slightly similar). We placed adverts in newspapers, on social media, visited many antique shops, dealers, car boot sales, flea markets but no luck. 

In the end, we purchased something from Ikea - it was grey and yes, long and no too high. It was ok and did the job but it wasn't right. When I returned to the UK, my sideboard hunting continued and then one day I found a sideboard which matched my imagination EXACTLY.  A large, teak G-Plan with double doors, 4 drawers and a bar cabinet and at a bargain price.


Restoring started as soon as I got it home (it had a bad water mark right in the middle of the top) and after some sanding, oiling and waxing it was as good as new.  I was **thrilled** with the result. And as usual, with every beautiful piece of furniture, I fell in love with it and wanted to keep it. 


So I had my dream sideboard, and now it was time to transport it to Prague. For the first time I used SpeedeGo Logistics which does regular CZ-->UK-->CZ trips. And to be honest, the communication with them was excellent, they were very friendly and helpful, it didn't cost an arm and a leg, and they didn't run away when they saw the wrapped beast :). *


Long story short, found it on Friday, restored on Saturday, it was collected on Monday and on Wednesday it arrived in Prague. I have seen  photos only but I must say it looks GREAT! This big piece of furniture needs a big open space and the apartment is just perfect. 
I'm ever so happy how it looks in the apartment and can't wait to see it for real :) 

retro TV :D
* This is not a paid commercial- it is my honest opinion

** Last 2 photos by my lovely friend Klara, first 3 by lovely me :)

No comments: